How to Handle 1099 Issues

Well, it’s that time again. By now you should have received 1099s from any mystery shopping companies that paid you more than $600 last year. Every year I get questions from secret shoppers about 1099s, so here are the answers to some of the questions I receive most often.

When will companies send me 1099s?

Companies are required to send a 1099 when they pay a contractor at least $600 during the tax year. The information is also provided to the Internal Revenue Service. Forms are supposed to be mailed by January 31st each year.

Does that mean I don’t have to pay taxes on amounts under $600?

In general, you are required to report all of your income and pay taxes whether or not you received a 1099 form. Of course, as an Independent Contractor, you will also deduct all of your reasonable and necessary costs of doing business as expenses. That means that you do not pay taxes on the gross amount you received, but on your profit after expenses have been deducted.

Let’s say you received $17,597 from various mystery shopping companies over the course of the year. Some of them may have paid you a couple hundred dollars each and a few may have paid a few thousand dollars each. Of the total amount, $8,602 represents reimbursement of required purchases. You had expenses (e.g., mileage or car expenses, Internet access, educational materials, equipment, supplies, home office, etc.) of $4,409. That means your taxable income from mystery shopping would be:

$17,597 – ($8602 + $4409) = $4,586 profit

That may not sound like much profit, but remember that you got to keep those required purchases and your expense deductions may help to subsidize expenses you would have even if you were not mystery shopping. For example, you would probably pay for Internet access even if you were not mystery shopping. Because you use the Internet for your business, you may deduct at least a portion of your monthly fee for Internet access.

Do 1099 amounts include reimbursements and expenses, or just fees?

That depends. Most companies only issue 1099s for fees; however, some companies will include reimbursements for purchases and other expenses in the 1099. It doesn’t really matter what they report in the 1099. Your taxes are the same. You report your gross income, deduct expenses and pay tax on your net profit.

What does matter is that you show at least as much income on your Schedule C as was reported on the 1099s. The IRS checks the totals of 1099s for your tax ID number against the gross amount of income you report.

What if the amount of the 1099 doesn’t match my records of what the company paid me?

It is not unusual for the amounts to be off. The mystery shopping company may have issued a payment in late December, but you didn’t receive it until January. They included it in your 1099 for last year, but you are not counting that income until this year. (That is common when you are reporting on a cash basis. Don’t worry about it, as long as you are consistent from year to year.) Or there may be some other reason why your records don’t match exactly. Unless the difference is substantial, just report what you actually received. If there is a big difference, contact the company for an explanation and a corrected 1099.

What should I do if I do not receive a 1099?

You can contact the company to ask if a 1099 was issued, and verify that they have your correct contact information. Because you do not have to send the 1099 in with your tax return, you can file your tax return even if you do not receive an expected 1099. Remember, many companies will not send you a 1099 because they did not pay you at least $600.


  1. D says

    I will be completing a tax preparation mystery shop. How can I report my income from mystery shopping and not blow my cover as I will be shopping the Income tax company?

    • says

      Ask the mystery shopping company how you should handle it. I know that in the past they have given people “fake” information to use in completing some of these shops. I have not seen any recently, so I don’t know how they are doing them now.

      When in doubt, always ask.

  2. Jeannie Spring says


    I have only been mystery shopping for about three months now, and I have questions about income taxes, and self-employment taxes. Do I need to file quarterly income taxes with the IRS. Do I need to complete a separate Schedule C for each company for which I have earned income, or can I do it all on one Schedule C? What percentage is adequate to set aside for all taxes? I first hear one thing and then another. I am confused. Can you help?


    Jeannie Spring

    P. S. Is there any software out there for mystery shoppers that helps in keeping records?

    • says

      Jeannie, there are several articles on this site that can answer some of your questions about taxes:

      I am not a tax professional so you should consult your tax preparer for the best answers.

      You should file quarterly estimated taxes if you believe that you will owe at least $1000 when you file your return. If you or your spouse have a full-time job where taxes are withheld, this may not apply. Or, you can adjust your withholding so that you have enough withheld to cover taxes on your mystery shopper income. Keep in mind that you only pay taxes on your profit, after expenses are deducted.

      You only need one Schedule C for your mystery shopping income. As for the percentage of your income to set aside, that is hard to say. Because you are only paying taxes on your net after expenses, and required purchases count as expenses, you might put aside 20% or so of your fee income, not counting reimbursements.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *