Lots of shoppers ask me what Digital Voice Recorder (DVR) I use. It happens that I bought a new one a few months ago, and I love it! It has everything a mystery shopper could want and more.
The recorder I use is made by Olympus. You can buy it at Amazon.com by clicking on the picture to the right. Here is what I like about it:
- It will record up to 66 hours of audio. More than enough to get you through a long day of mystery shopping!
- One AAA battery will last up to 15 hours.
- The display shows elapsed time, so it is easy to use it to verify timings.
- It has a jack to plug in an external microphone for better recording quality.
- You can play back at fast or slow speeds, so you can quickly review the audio or slow it down to get exactly what was said.
- You can use it to store other files, such as photos (although you can not view files on the recorder).
- Best of all: It has a USB connector for easy upload of files to your computer.
I have used this recorder on several shops, and the quality of the recording has always been excellent. In fact, the first shop I did with it had to be uploaded to the mystery shopping company. The employee I was shopping was a “low talker” and I was afraid she was speaking so quietly I was not getting her on the recording. When I played it back, she came through loud and clear.
This recorder has become an indispensable tool on my shops. If you do not have a good DVR, this one is an excellent choice.
I also recommend getting an external mic to use with the recorder. The one shown on the left is made specifically for the Olympus recorder. I use one I bought at Radio Shack before I owned this DVR.
Or, check out the links below. I find that Amazon.com has great prices on electronics–that’s where I bought my DVR.