I am going to move to another state in about six months. Should I start applying to mystery shopping companies now, and take assignments in my present location, or should I wait until after I move to get started? Would applying now be a waste of time?
There isn’t one correct answer to this question. It depends on you and your situation. Here are some of the things you will want to consider.
Will you have time to mystery shop over the next six months, or will you be busy preparing to move? If you will not be able to accept any assignments, then whether you apply now or later really doesn’t matter.
Applying now can get you in to the data bases and allow you to start getting some experience. That may help you to hit the ground running once you have moved and are ready for more work.
On the other hand, you may find that some of the companies and schedulers who have assignments where you are now will have few or no assignments in your new location. That means that you might want to focus on applying to some of the large national companies. One way to find companies with clients in both your present and future locations is to search for jobs on Jobslinger, using both zip codes.
Another option is to apply to the mystery shopping scheduling companies that work with a variety of companies. They may have clients across the country, making it easy to get assignments now and later.
Remember that you will have to update all of your profiles with your new information after you move, so you may not want to apply to a large number of companies before the move.
This could also be a good time to lay the groundwork for becoming a successful shopper. You might think about completing your Silver and/or Gold Certification now, if that is something you wish to do.
You have to make your own decision about when to apply and to how many companies, but here is what I would do:
- If your email address will change when you move, get one that won’t change, such as through Gmail.
- Get certified. Complete at least your MSPA Silver Certification. It really can help get those first assignments.
- Apply to mystery shopping scheduling companies.
- Choose a few national companies and apply to them.
- Take a few assignments, when you can. Always do a great job. They do not want to hear that you forgot to do the job because you were showing your house, or packing for the move.
- Once you move, update your profiles with the secret shopping companies as soon as you can. If you have established relationships with a few schedulers, send them each an email to let them know about your new location, and that you are eager to continue performing mystery shops for them.